Access Living works to make sure students with disabilities have equal access to education
To do this, we hold Chicago Public Schools (CPS) accountable to its special education policies and procedures, and we advocate for, when needed, policy reform in Illinois and across the country so that disabled students have equal access to education in inclusive settings.
With attorneys, parents, teachers, students, and other education advocates, we currently are focused on protecting the rights of students with disabilities, improving the quality of special education services in Chicago and Illinois, improving school safety for students with disabilities, and continuing to fight for more accessibility in school buildings.
Our education policy work
As part of this work, Access Living:
- Monitors education policy, law, and related court cases impacting students with disabilities
- Writes education policy reports, recommendations, and CPS/state budget analyses relating to students with disabilities (Word versions of analysis available upon request)
- Offers to education systems policy advocacy through legislation and policy development and reform
- Conducts public education efforts centered on the inclusion of students with disabilities
- Takes on select education lawsuits involving violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act or other types of education-related, disability-related discrimination
Students, parents, or guardians searching for special education information and resources for students with disabilities may contact our Education Policy Analyst.